Sunday, June 28, 2015

Starting my Goal Letters Project

The idea of having students write goal letters was completely foreign to me. But, I happened to stumble upon the idea somewhere on the interwebs and thought it was a good idea for three reasons:
  1. It forces students to think about goals. The population I work with unfortunately have never set goals for themselves. It's as if they think their goals can't even happen so why try.
  2. At the end of the year, they can reassess their goals. Students can see if they've met any of their goals throughout the year and plan accordingly for the next year.
  3. If I haven't seen a student in about three weeks, I can assume the worst, which is they have decided to drop out. But perhaps, by sending them the letter they wrote, they will remember they do have a lot of goals in life and will decide to come back in. 
So far, students have thought it was "odd" that they were addressing a letter to themselves. However, I showed them a sample of real-life goals I want to achieve by the end of this school year, too! And they realized we're all in this together. 

I'll keep you updated on the goals letter process!

Don't forget to subscribe to this super awesome blog! You can also find it on Feedly and Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment